Monday, February 13, 2017

Never Settle For A Life That Isn't Yours

                                   In the end we only regret the chances we didn't take

Are you settling for a life that isn't yours?
Are you living a life that you didn't design yourself?
Do you prefer security to adventure?
Are you afraid to act on you dreams because you don't think you will be able to pull it off?
Do you believe that you don´t have what it takes to be able to do it? That you will probably fail and if you fail you will feel even worse than if you not had acted on your big dreams?
Or are your dreams buried so deep inside that you have almost forgotten about them? And only once in a while do you think about them and wonder..... what would  happened if I would have taken a chance back then?

Time to uncover those dreams. Time to dust them off and bring them back to life. Time to make a plan to try to accomplish some of those dreams and allow them to become a reality.
Make sure that you don't die with the dream still inside of you.
You dream might be travelling the world, living in another country, have the "right" relationship for you,  your dream-job that aligns with who you are deep inside, starting a organization and help people with problems, write a book, paint, start a company, write music or poetry.
Whatever it is for you.....make sure you start be taking some action steps towards your dreams.
Never settle for a life that isn't yours.

The reason that I an writing this blog is because I had this interesting conversation with a good friend of mine a couple of  days ago. I have known him my whole life so I know his background and his life very well. I know that he had to live a life that wasn't his own for a very long time. He had to take care of people and probably had to do work that might not have been in alignment with who he authentically was. He had a lot of big responsibilities when he was quite young because some adults in his life didn't take care of their own responsibilities. He had to grow up very quickly and I don´t think that anyone ever asked what he wanted to do with his life. Now he is a little older and wiser.
He and I can talk about a lot of things openly.
We had a conversation about our dreams as we were younger. I asked him about his. What he was dreaming about as a young man. What would he have done with his life if could have decided for himself?

I could tell right away that this question made him puzzled. He appeared surprised, slightly uncomfortable, and he became very quiet. Then he told me without looking at me..... that of course he had had some dreams as a young man but that he didn't even want to talk about them because they brought up a lot of sadness and anger. He said  that just thinking about his old dreams made him feel so uncomfortable and sad. So we let the conversation go and started talking about something else instead.

But I couldn't stop thinking about it and I am just wondering how many people out there that are not  acting on any of their dreams. They try to forget about them.
As children we have big dreams. But as we get a little older these dreams somehow get buried somewhere in the back of our minds. Eventually life takes over and we completely stop thinking and talking about them.

But where do these dreams go? Do they eventually go away if we bury them so deep down that we don't even think about them very often?

I don't believe that dreams will ever go away. It doesn't matter how deep down that you try to bury them. I think they will be there in the back of our mind and once in a while they will come up to the surface and remind us. Maybe because of something happening in our lives..... they are brought up to the surface again. But instead of acting on these dreams we push them down again. As far as we can because we don´t want to be reminded of them.
But can we ever stop thinking about them? I don't believe so. I think they will always be there as a sad reminder, if we don't act on them.

So why don't people act on their dreams?
I believe that a lot of people are afraid of failure. Somehow they feel like they are not going to be able to accomplish their dream. They are afraid to take risks because of what they might lose. We don't believe that we are capable of doing what this dream will require us to do. Maybe we don't feel like we have enough money, friends that can help, knowledge, experience, not the right information, we are too old/young, don't have enough time, man/woman.....etc.
The risk drives most people crazy. On the other hand.....everything in life is risky.
Living is risky. Getting married is risky, having children is risky, investing money is risky, changing jobs is risky and driving your car is risky.
We are so afraid to take a risk and trying to do something new. But how about the risk of doing nothing? The risk of not trying? Trying to change feels almost impossible.
There are no guarantees in life, no matter what you are doing.
Don't come to the end of your life and ask yourself.....what would have happened if I would have taken that chance?
Don't have regrets at the end of your life.

I have been knocked down many times in my own life and for many years I was living someone else's life. A life that wasn't my own. But my dreams on the inside would never die. They surfaced many times. But I kept on pushed them down for many different reasons. But I don't do that any more. My life and my dreams are important. I don't want to settle for living someone else's life, a life that I didn't have any part in designing.
I want to be the star of my own movie. The movie that I created, edited and directed.

It is about having peace of mind. I want to have peace of mind and that includes being true to myself and making sure that what I am doing is in alignment with who I am and what I want. I want to live up to the very best that I can be as a human being and that also means constantly working on myself.
Yes..... it takes tremendous courage to be who I am and not to go along with the crowd.

In the end I don't think anyone can be happy unless they are completely true to themselves.
I also believe that no success in any area of your life is possible without commitment. If you can't commit wholeheartedly it probably means that it isn't right for you.
Find the work that you can commit yourself to.
Find the relationships that you can commit yourself to.
Find the life that you can commit yourself to living.

Never Settle.



                                           Karin Glannstam - Personal Success Coach
                                                      www.karinglannstam.com




















No comments:

Post a Comment