Monday, February 20, 2017

Celebrate Yourself and Nurture Your Friendships

                                          "The more you praise and celebrate your life
                                             the more there is in life to celebrate."
                                                           - Oprah Winfrey


I turned 55 a couple of days ago and today I want to tell you about my my wonderful birthday celebration.
I also want to thank my friends for giving me some wonderful memories that I will cherish for the rest of my life.

Around 20 women came together to celebrate my big day. Since I am spending time in Sweden right now the celebration took place here and with all Swedish friends. It is really great because even though I have been living in the US for almost 30 years I still have some fantastic friends here in Sweden. I have also met some new friend since I have been back.
At this party there were friends that I have known for 30 plus years, some 20 plus years and some that I have gotten to know lately. The ages of the people varied a lot too.

I know a lot of people that don't want to celebrate their birthdays as they get older. I used to fall in that category for many years, but not any longer. I think we should celebrate that we have made it this far..... because a lot of people didn't. Some people's lives were taken way too soon.
We must also celebrate all that we have gone through. All the ups and also the downs. The ups are easy to celebrate but the downs are usually a little more difficult. But we usually learn a lot more through our difficulties in life than our easy and smooth times.

Yes, if you have lived to be 55 you have probably gone through a lot of stuff in your life. We have gotten dented and banged up a little but just imagine all the experiences that we have accumulated in the process. How smart and educated we actually are. Our experiences are valuable and should be shared with others.
Celebrate your body instead of always complaining and finding faults with it. It is the only body that you have got to live in. Take good care of it.

Get out of your comfort zone. Meet some new people that you don't already know. A lot of times we stay where it is comfortable. We feel uncomfortable when we don't know anybody and decide that we don't want to attend a party where there will be a lot of people that we have never met before.
But that is how you meet new people and that is how you create new friendships. Don't be nervous about striking up a conversation with a person that you have never met. Don't feel that you don't have anything to talk about and that you don't have anything to offer at a party. Stop being so critical about yourself.
A lot of people at my birthday party told me that they loved the mixture of people and that they loved meeting new ones.

Make a big deal out of your birthday. Connect with old and new friends. Make and effort to arrange a party. Invite, share and laugh together.
We are all so "busy" and we neglect our friendships a lot of times. If the truth comes out..... we are not too busy we are just plain lazy. It is not important to make the phone call or getting together in person. Instead we sent a text, a message via Facebook or email.
I understand that if you are in different cities or countries  your only option might be to connect electronically. But how hard is it to pick up the phone?
Spend some quality time with friends. Nurture your friendships. You never know when you might need a friend to talk to.
Be there for your friends and family. Don't ignore to place the phone call or to reach out to a friend.
You are never too busy. Make the effort.

Celebrate Your Birthday, Your Life And Live Well!



                                        Karin Glannstam - Personal Success Coach
                                                       www.karinglannstam.com





No comments:

Post a Comment