Friday, June 24, 2016

Are You a Workaholic?

                                                       "I turned into a workaholic
                                   to the point of where my health was in jeopardy."
                                                             - Tab Hunter


Are you addicted to work....are you a workaholic?

Addiction can either be to a substance or a behavior.

Addiction is any behavior you create that gives you some relief or pleasure and has negative consequences that you don´t give up despite the negative consequences in your life.

Are you addicted to work?

In this country people love to talk about all the work they do....how "busy" they are all the time.
How needed and how important they are at work.

I understand that we do have to work a lot but how much work is too much and when does it turn into an addiction?

You are addicted to work if you are ignoring your family, your marriage, your children, friendships and your own needs in order to get the satisfaction of being wanted by the people...... as a doctor, teacher, lawyer, realtor.... etc. " I am so important."

It is an addiction if it affects you family life, friendships, spiritual and physical health.


We can also use an addiction to justify another addiction.

Since I work so hard and long hours I deserve a couple of drinks when I get home.
Or I will stop at "Happy Hour" to relax before I go home.

Or since I make good money I can go on a shopping spree and spend several thousand dollars on shoes, clothes or electronics. Buy a bigger house or a bigger car.

I am working all the time so I can go out to eat dinner every evening. And lunch too.

Since I work so many hours I can relax in front of the TV or surfing the Internet for hours every evening when I get home from work.

You are now using one addiction to justify the other addictions.
The addictive brain is very clever.

 
Karin Glannstam - Personal Success Coach

No comments:

Post a Comment