Wednesday, September 9, 2015

Is the risk of reluctance worth the reward of staying comfortable and safe?

                                                             "Growth is painful
                                                             change is painful
                                                     but nothing is as painful as
                                      staying stuck somewhere you don't belong."


                          "The secret to change is to focus all your energy not on fighting the old
                                                        but on building the new."



In the last blog I was writing about how change can be very difficult for all the people around us. I also talked about how every relationship has a balance point. When someone makes a permanent change it disrupts the balance point and there are 3 possible outcomes.

#1 The other person accepts the changes as they are.
#2 The relationship ends.
#3 The other person changes as well.

If you missed Monday's blog here it is.......
http://karinglannstam.blogspot.se/2015/09/the-risk-of-change.html

No matter which of those outcomes happens. When we change our lives we are putting ourselves and others at risk.

In 2012 I risked it all. I left a narcissistic abusive relationship that I had been in for almost 8 years. Packed my bags and flew to Sweden with my 2 dogs. (I was born and raised in Sweden but I had lived in The US for 25 years). I risked everything I had and knew about myself. After one year in Sweden I returned to Houston, TX.

I hope that this kind of severe upheaval doesn't happen to others when they make big changes in their lives.
Yet it seems to be part of the course with a lot of people.

When we are reluctant to make changes in our lives we have to ask ourselves a couple of important questions....

How much am I willing to risk for my happiness,
more joy in my life
freedom
and my health?

Fear is another word for severe reluctance.

Is the risk of reluctance or fear worth the reward of staying comfortable, safe, and not living up to your potential?

I am glad that i faced my fears and left my old life behind. Even though it meant that I had to go through "the dark night of the soul" and learn to live with uncertainty. If I would have stayed I would have risked my happiness, joy, freedom and health. A high price to pay to remain in the comfort of what we are used to......... even if we know that it isn't working.



                                                            "Change is scary
                                       but not as scary as staying the same forever."


                                            Karin Glannstam - Personal Success Coach
                                                      www.karinglannstam.com



No comments:

Post a Comment