Monday, March 23, 2015

Do You Worry a Lot?

Do you worry a lot.? A lot of us do. In the past I used to worry a lot more than I do today. I have learned that we must live in the moment. We must live only for today. Easier said than done.....    
 I know.

Just remember that yesterday is gone. We can't change the past. It doesn't matter how much we try and how much time we spend thinking about what we could have done differently.... The past is over with. Learn from it, but move on.

Tomorrow isn't here yet, but already we are worrying about what is going to happen. We have no control over it, so why not let it go. Stop spending a lot of mental energy worrying about the past or the future. Just imagine how much energy you could have if you just stayed in the moment.
Stay in the present moment.


Did you know that 90-95% of what we worry about....never happens!

Today I want to share with you a book that I just finished reading. It is the best book that I have read in months and I highly recommend it.

How to Stop worrying and Start Living......by Dale Carnegie


Time-Tested methods for conquering worry. This book deals with fundamental emotions and ideas. It is fascinating to read and easy to apply. Let it change and improve you. There's no need to live with worry and anxiety that keep you from enjoying a full, active and happy life.

Today I want to share a story from this book. It reminds us to.........Never Worry Alone.

Dr. Rose Hilferding, the medical advisor of the class sais that she thought one of the best remedies for lightening worry is "talking your troubles over with someone you trust. We call it, catharsis," she said. "when patients come here, they can talk their troubles over at length, until they get them off their minds. Brooding over worries alone, and keeping them to oneself, causes great nervous tension. We all have to share our troubles. We have to share our worry. We have to feel there is someone in the world who is willing to listen and able to understand.

My assistant witnessed the great relief that came to one woman from talking out her worries. She had domestic worries, and when she first began to talk, she was like a wound-up spring. Then gradually, as she kept on talking, she began to calm down. At the end of the interview, she was actually smiling. Had the problem been solved? No, it wasn't that easy. What caused the change was talking to someone, getting a little advice and a little human sympathy. What had really worked the change was the tremendous healing value that lies in - words!

Psychoanalysis based, to some extent, on this healing power of words. Ever since the days of Freud, analysts have known that a patient could find relief from his inner anxieties if he could talk, just talk. Why is this so? Maybe because by talking, we gain a little better insight into our troubles, get a better perspective. No one knows the whole answer. But all of us know that "spiting it out" or "getting it off our chests" bring almost instant relief.

So, the next time we have an emotional problem, why don't we look around for someone to talk to? I don't mean, of course, to go around making pests of ourselves by whining and complaining to everyone is sight. Let's decide on someone we can trust, and make an appointment. Maybe a relative , a doctor, a lawyer, a minister, or priest. Then say, to that person: "I want your advice, I have a problem, and I wish you would listen while I put it in words. You may be able to advice me. You may see angles to this thing that I can't see myself. But even if you can't, you will help me tremendously if you will just sit and listen while I talk it out.

So, how about the next time you start to worry..... instead of worrying alone reach out to someone and ask them to just listen.


In my own life, I have done this many times. I am blessed with having a wonderful small group of close friends that I can trust with my worries. I always tell them....I know you can't solve this problem for me..... I know I have to do it myself.
But I always want them to listen because when we get stuck in toxic worry we get paralyzed, withdraw and disconnect. We get so stuck at looking at what isn't working that we might not see anything else and we also might also miss out on the solution to our problem.

 NEVER WORRY ALONE!         Find a Friend to Worry With!

 
Karin Glannstam - Personal Success Coach





No comments:

Post a Comment