Tuesday, March 19, 2019

Consistency Is Not Glamorous But It's Effective

                                                  What you do every day matters more
                                                      than what you do once in a while.





When people get started on a new goal, a lot of them almost overdo it.

When people starts a new exercise routine, they go from sitting on the couch for years, to going to the gym 5 - 6 days a week, for 2-3 hours at a time. And the truth is, that they don't even like the gym.
Or they go from moving very little, to running 3-5 miles, five days a week, in a very short time.

Here is another example....

Some people decide that when they are going to loose weight, they stop eating almost all kinds of food. They stop drinking coffee, tea and they cut out everything that is sweet and contains any carbohydrates, due to the latest diet.  And now they are only eating salads, carrot sticks, celery, broccoli and tuna. And they have never eaten salads in their whole life and they can't stand tuna. But they know that they can loose weight doing this, according to the latest diet trend.


                                      "Small disciplines repeated with consistency every day
                                        lead to great achievements gained slowly over time."
                                                                 - John Maxwell


Above are just two examples, but I think you can understand what I am talking about here.

I can use myself as an example. I like to stay in shape but right now I don't have the time to go to the gym and I have to admit that I don't enjoy being in a gym. I love the outdoors. I walk almost every day, and most of the days I walk twice a day, for about 45-60 minutes every time. I have dogs that need to walk so I combine my exercise with spending time with my dogs. I also do yoga, 30 minutes three times per week, in my home and 10 minutes four times per week. I have developed an easy routine to follow that won't break me or bore me. It's quick and convenient. It works right now, where I am in life. It's easier to just put my tennis shoes on and go walking than to have to get to the gym to do the same thing. I have done this for so many years that it is an automatic habit for me. Something that I can actually do for the rest of my life.

The truth is that you set yourself up for failure when you do too much, too soon. The shift of your lifestyle is massive, and it will be difficult to sustain it for a very long time.

Instead find a program that you can absolutely do, long term. Something that you can do today, tomorrow, next week, next month, next year. Do something that you can do for the rest of your life.

The Power Of Consistency
Smart choices and action repeated consistently will add up over time. 
In the end you will win when you take the right steps day in and day out for a long period of time.


                                                  "Success is the sum of small efforts
                                                       repeated day in and day out."
                                                                 - Robert Collier


What can you do for the rest of your life?



                                                           www.karinglannstam.com

No comments:

Post a Comment