Monday, May 21, 2018

Power Thinking - Reframe Your Thoughts

                                    
                                                   "The happiness of your life 
                                       depends on the quality of your thoughts."
                                                          - Marcus Aurelius



You have the ability to control your mind. You can control the thoughts that you are thinking.
It means that you can change a disempowering thought into a empowering thought if you want to.
How do you do this? Simply by refusing to accept the negative thought. Cancel it and replace it immediately with a more positive one.

If you missed my blog from last Monday....here it is again.

No Thought Lives In Your Head Rent-Free
http://karinglannstam.blogspot.se/2018/05/no-thought-lives-in-your-head-rent-free.html

You have the ability to control your thoughts  You have the ability to cancel any thought that isn't supporting you and what you are trying to do in your life.
You can also install self-empowering thoughts at any time, simply by choosing to focus on them.

Everything that happens is neutral. That means that nothing has meaning except the meaning we give it.
So you can give the same incident a negative meaning or a positive meaning. The incident is neutral, but you will add the meaning to it by adding your own story.





Let me give you an example of what I am talking about.
This example comes from a fantastic book.....Psycho-Cybernetics written by Maxwell Maltz. 
(If you haven't read this book I strongly suggest that you do. Absolutely amazing book.)

Even in regard to tragic conditions, and the most adverse environment, we can usually manage to be happier, if not completely happy, by not adding to the misfortune of our own feelings of self-pity, resentment, and our own opinions.
"How can I be happy?" the wife of an alcoholic husband asked me.
"I don't know," I said, "but you can be happier by resolving not to add resentment and self-pity to your misfortune."
"How can I possibly be happy?" asked a businessman, "I have just lost $200,000 on the stock market. I am ruined and disgraced."
"You can be happier," I said, "by not adding your own opinion to the facts. It is a fact that you lost $200,000. It is your opinion that you are ruined and disgraced.
I then suggested that he memorizes a saying of Epictetus, which has always been a favorite of mine: "Men are disturbed not by the things that happened, but by their opinion of the things that happened." 


Back in early 2012 when my whole life imploded, I could very easily have fallen into self-pity, anger and resentment and adapted a very disempowering story of what just had taken place in my life. Of course I can't deny that I had a lot of days of doom and gloom and plenty of "stinking thinking".
But out of that crisis also came a new beginning....I became a life coach and started my own coaching company. Since then I have also written two books and the third one is going to be published this summer.
I decided to turn a huge crisis and what I thought was a setback into something more empowering.
A comeback for a new and very different life. I did this by reframing what had just happened in my life. If it had not happened I don't know what I would be doing today. But I am grateful it happened because I discovered that I had lived a life that wasn't mine for a very long time and that it was time for a big change. 
I am where I am today because I decided to add a story that supported me to what happened in 2012 instead of letting the incident break me.

"When you reframe who did you wrong as one who lead you to define what is right,
 wisdom replace pain."
- Stace Morris


Everything that happens in life is neutral. Nothing has meaning, except the meaning we give it.
And since we are going to make up a story anyway, we might as well make up a story that supports us and empowers us instead of a story that disempowers us and weakens us. 

Same incident but what story or opinion are you going to use?
One that empowers you and supports you or the one that die-empowers you and makes you weaker?

In the end you decide what story or opinion to use when it comes to anything that happens in your life.


                                                         www.karinglannstam.com

No comments:

Post a Comment