Wednesday, October 28, 2015

Do You Ever Feel Resistance?

Since I have had a few weeks off I finally had a chance to catch up on some my reading. One of the books that I have been looking forward to read was
"The war of art" written by Steven Pressfield.
Ever since he was interviewed by Oprah on Super Soul Sunday, I have been wanting to get my hands on this book and finally I had the chance to read it. Great book by the way, and that is why I am writing about it in my blog today.

The book talks about breaking through the blocks and win your inner creative battles.
Resistance is one of those blocks. I know we all feel resistance sometimes. Especially when we are going to venture out of the ordinary in our lives and try or create something new. Sometimes we are not even conscious of our own resistance.

Ex. some people feel resistance every time they have to work out. Have you ever felt resistance when you have decided to start a new healthy diet? Painters feel resistance when they sit down in front of a blank canvas to create art. I can imagine song writers and film makers feel the same thing..........
Resistance when you are going to create something new.

I know I feel it a lot of times when I am going to write a blog. I sit in front of my computer and stare at a blank screen. Some days I don´t know what the topic of the blog is going to be and some days I have it planned out days and sometimes weeks in advance. But every time I sit down I do feel some sort of resistance. The sad thing is that it won´t go away the more you write. It is always there. Some days more than others.

Today I want to share some words from this wonderful book

Are you a born writer? Were you born on earth to be a painter, a scientist, an apostle of peace? In the end the question can only be answered by action.
Do it or don´t do it.
It may help to think of it this way. If you were meant to cure cancer or write a symphony or crack cold fusion and you don´t do it, you not only hurt yourself, even destroy yourself.
You hurt children. You hurt me. You hurt the planet.
You shame the angels who watch over you and you spite the Almighty, who created you and you only with your unique gifts, for the some purpose of nudging the human race one millimeter further along its path to God.
Creative work is not a selfish act or a bid for attention on the part of the actor. It´s a gift to the world and every being in it. Don´t cheat us of your contribution. Give us what you`ve got.

                                                                       From The War of Art......by Steven Pressfield

By the way......I felt resistance this morning writing this blog. But I just pressed on and got it done.

 
                                        Karin Glannstam - Personal Success Coach
                                                   www.karinglannstam.com

No comments:

Post a Comment