Monday, July 20, 2015

My Most Important Lesson

The story that I want to share with you today I came across a couple of months ago.




One day, a scorpion looked around at the mountain where he lived and decided that he wanted to change. So he set out on a journey through the forest and hills. He climbed over rocks and under vines and kept going until he reached a stream.
The stream was wide and deep, and the scorpion stopped to reconsider the situation. He couldn't see any other way across. He walked upstream for a bit and then back downstream, looking for a way to get across to the other side. he came upon a frog sitting in the rushes by the bank of the stream.

"Hellooo, Mr. Frog!" the scorpion said in his nicest voice, "Would you be so kind as to give me a ride on your back across the stream?"

"Well now, Mr. Scorpion! How do I know that if I try to help you, you won't sting me?" asked the frog.

"I would never do that," the scorpion replied. "If I sting you, then I would drown along with you, for I cannot swim."

Now this made sense to the frog, but he was still suspicious. "Yes that's true, but how do I know you won't sting me anyway?"

"I would have to be crazy to do that." the scorpion reassured him. "I don't want to die. I just want to get to the other side of the stream."

"You have a got a point there." said the frog as he mulled it over.

Finally the frog agreed to take the scorpion across the river. "OK, I'll take you across. Hop on my back and we'll get going. Just be careful with your stinger."

"Sure, sure of course, " the scorpion replied.

He crawled onto the frog's back and the frog slid into the river. The water swirled around them, but the frog stayed near the surface so the scorpion would not drown.
He kicked strongly through the stream, his webbed feet paddling surely and steadily against the current.
But about halfway across the stream, the frog suddenly felt a sharp sting in his back. A deadening numbness began to creep into his limbs.

"What have you done?" croaked the frog, looking back over his shoulders at his passenger. "Why on earth did you sting me? Now we both are going to drown!"

"I couldn't help myself." the scorpion shrugged as he sank with the frog. It's just my nature."



This little short story reminds me of one of my favorite quotes.....

           "When people show you who they are, believe them."     - Maya Angelou


Believe people when they tell you who they are....because they know themselves better than you do.

If someone tells you that they lie to other people....guess what .....they will lie to you too.

If someone gossips about other people in from of you....they will gossip about you.

If people show that they can't be trusted....don't trust them.

Trust people to be who they are. Know that they will behave in keeping with their character.

If your friend is a liar..... deal with him/her accordingly. You expect him/her to lie. You can still be a friend, just recognize who you are dealing with and take appropriate steps to protect yourself.  Accept the way he/she is but don't allow it to have a negative impact on you.


                                               Karin Glannstam - Personal Success Coach
                                                          www.karinglannstam.com

No comments:

Post a Comment