Monday, September 21, 2020

Life Will Require Pivots

                                         "Pivoting is not the end equivalent of failure. 

                  It means that you are paying attention and that you're willing to change."

                                                               - Jess Peterson





Did any of you attend the live online event .....The Power To Pivot - One Day Immersion, last Thursday?

It was a 6 hour event via Zoom and FB presented by Dean Graziosi. 

The event was absolutely amazing with speakers like Tony Robbins, Jenna Kutcher, Trent Shelton, Brandon Burchard, Nick Santonastasso, Jamie Kern Lima and Pete Vargas. 

And the best thing was that is was absolutely free.

We got to learn from great people in the personal development and business industry. Six hours of priceless wisdom, insight and knowledge from all the speakers. They all over-delivered and I was so grateful and blessed that I got to be part of this event.

What does it mean to pivot? 

To modify whole retaining some continuity with its previous version. 


                                                "A pivot is a change in strategy

                                                     without a change in vision."

                                                                - Eric Ries


For the last 10 months a lot of things have changed in the world and we have been forced to change the way we live and the way we think. The whole world has been affected by the Corona pandemic. Slowly we have been adjusting to new ways of living, working, going to school and also how we interact with family and friends. A lot of people are longing for the old ways.....the old normal. I believe that we are all seeking some normal in out lives but the world will never go back to the way it was before the pandemic hit. We are having to get used to a new normal. I don't believe that the new normal is going to be bad. I believe that there will a great future ahead of us but we can't see it right now. But in order for us to not get stuck in the old way, we have to pivot.

The old ways we used to do things, no longer works. We have to come up with new ways of doing things and that will also require a new way of thinking.

Change is never easy but it's necessary and it doesn't matter what we think and what we want when it come to change.....change is the only constant thing in life. It will happen whether we like it or not.

So not to get left behind in an ever changing world, we must pivot.




I can use myself as an example. 

Back in  the beginning 2012 my whole life imploded. First my mother died at the of December of 2011. In the end of March I walked away from a very emotionally abusive partner and a few days later I had to return to Sweden. I was born and raised in Sweden but I had lived in The US for 25 years. I shipped some boxes to Sweden with clothes and some personal belongings. Packed 2 suitcases and took my 2 dogs with me. Everything else I had to leave behind in Texas. I felt like my whole life collapsed and I had no idea what I was going to do with the rest of my life ( I was 50 years old at that time).

Now I am not going to go into all the details about what was going on at that time. But I had to do something to change my situation. I knew I couldn't go back to the old way of living, because it was completely gone. I had to create a new life and a new normal for me. I had to pivot. And I did.

It took many months of  sitting by myself in my apartment trying to figure out what had happened, how it could have happened. And later what was I was going to do about the situation I was in, and how was I going to be able to create some kind of new normal and a new future for myself.

It was the worst experience and biggest crisis I have ever gone through in my life. I hope I never have to deal with something like that ever again. I have had several setbacks since 2012 but I have been able to deal with them in a better and more empowering way.

During 2012 I learned a lot. I studied all the time and I also hired a life coach for the first time in my life. With his help I was able to map out a brand new future for myself. I returned to the US in 2013 and right away I started and online coaching course to become a certified life coach. In 2014 I graduated and I started my online coaching business in the summer of 2014. A lot of things has happened in my life since then and I have not been spared of setbacks. I have had a big ones in 2015 and the latest was in the fall of 2019. But during all these years I have learned the power of pivoting. 

During a crisis or setback my vision won't change, but my path to get there will. 


                                         "Pivoting is not the end of the disruption process,

                                        but the beginning of the next leg of your journey."

                                                               - Jay Samit


Change is constant and we have to decide if we want to make some adjustments to our plan so that we can move forwards or we can decide to remain where we are and risk getting stuck. It's totally up to each and everyone of us. We all have the power to adjust and continue to move, if we want to. 


I know that a lot of you have experienced a lot of changes lately and continue to do experience change. I have had to change things also. Times are scary and uncertain right now. I feel the same way and it's okay to feel that way. But I also know that things will get better no matter how scary it feels right now. This Too Shall Pass.


Life is like a bicycle. We have to keep pedaling. If we stop we will fall over. We can't pedal backwards so the only option we have is to pedal forward.


Switching gears is not a bad thing. Pivoting is just a sign that you are growing.



                                              Karin Glannstam - Life Coach & Author

                                                        www.karinglannstam.com


No comments:

Post a Comment