Monday, October 27, 2014

A Life Lesson I learned from My Dog Lady!

They say that people show up in our lives to mirror back to us what me most need to learn at that time in our life. I believe that the same thing is true for our pets. They hold up a mirror and show us what we need to become aware of and what we need to work on.

This is absolutely true for my dog Lady. I adopted her last year in October from a shelter after my other dog Coco had passed away. Coco was a chocolate Labrador retriever and very calm and slow moving.
Lady on the other hand is a hyper and energetic 7-year old yellow female.

I have another adopted Labrador retriever, 8-year old Nikki. Well...Nikki bit Lady the first day at our house, just to put her in her place and let her know... who is the boss. (No one got hurt)

I realized quickly that Lady had a lot of nervous energy. She also appeared to have abandonment issues. Poor girl....she was such a sweetheart but so scared that I would walk away and leave her. She has been my constant shadow, this past year.

So .... dealing with Lady I had to learn a lot more PATIENCE. I thought I was being a pretty patient person. Working as a Life Coach and helping other peoples with their issues and teaching them how to center themselves. I have studied so much personal development and I meditate twice a day. I don't get upset when I have to wait in line or when people cut me off in traffic. I don't argue with people and I don't have to be right ... I rather be happy and walk away from a heated discussion or argument.

Well....as they say .... There is always room for improvement! There is always another level to reach for.

I realized quickly that Lady was pushing some of my buttons and that I had to learn to become a more patient person and don't feed into her energy. All she wanted was some love and attention.

I am happy to announce that in this past year I have grown a lot and learned a lot from Lady and YES....I have a lot more patience. The lessons you learn when you adopt a co-dependent adult dog with abandonment issues.

                                 The reward is.... all the kisses and love that I can handle!!!!!

         

 
                                        Thanks Lady for being the MIRROR that I needed.


"He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog.

You are his life, his love, his leader.

He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart.

You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion."       - Unknown-

www.karinglannstam.com




No comments:

Post a Comment